My Great American Dream



Ever since as a girl, I have always wanted to go to America. I came from a family where colonial mentality is at its best (or worst, depending on how you view it). We looked up to Americans, we watched American programs, we loved imported goods ... it didn't matter if it was just Maxam toothpaste so long as it was bought from abroad (yeah, I know, we sound like losers). The all-time favorite imported goods would of course be the chocolates ... Toblerones, Hersheys, Cadburys ... hmmm yummy! I remember one summer we even went to Olongapo City (where one of the American bases used to be) just so we could buy from Duty Free shops there (rolling eyes!)

Year 2001 was when I thought I would finally fulfill my American Dream coz my husband and I were granted 10-yr multiple US visa. But then, we found ourselves living in Canada instead. And we fell in love with Canada, and we stayed and I totally forgot about my American Dream thinking 'what else could US offer us when we're already basking in the beauty and glory of Canada'? (We've lived in Vancouver, St. John's, Toronto, and traveled to Niagara, Montreal and other major cities there so I kinda know what I'm talking about).

When we vacationed in our home country after 6 years of living abroad, I was not as thrilled, especially coz my only family (my Mom) is in Chicago and I only had my aunts and cousins to say hi to there in the Phils. But mostly because I knew we had to stay in Mt. Province where my husband's family lives. Don't get me wrong. I love their place. It's heavenly ... weather is like springtime in Canada (cool and breezy), view is awesome with high mountains, lovely waterfalls, tall & majestic trees, rich gardens full of all kinds of vegies and beautiful, rare flowers, clean springs... just awesome.

But being a city girl, 2 weeks in that oh, so heavenly place already felt like a decade. And I just had this crazy thought one time I was talking to my Mom to actually go to US for a visit.

So, I did.

And now I'm here basking in the beauty and glory of USA (I've been to Chicago, Washington, NJ and NY so I kinda know what I'm talking about .. lol). (wink!)

My Great American Dream has finally come true!

_________________
"Dreams do come true. Without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them." - John Updike (http://www.followyourdreams.com/)

No comments: