Letting Go Can Be So Much Fun

Share

I've a lot to learn from JM, my 5-yr old daughter.


We both ice-skated for the first time and yet she now skates like a pro, while I ... well ... I look like a combination of a 1-yr old baby walking for the first time and a baby duck trying to fly but couldn't.

Yup, that's how I look like on the rink each time.  I take careful, little steps with arms flailing like a wild duck, trying to maintain my balance, and always fearing for the worst ... fall down on my butt.

Last weekend, the 3 of us (hubby, daughter and me) went ice-skating again at The Pond in Bryant Park (in time for the park's annual tree lighting) and I couldn't help but be green with envy as my hubby and daughter glide gleefully on ice.  It wasn't fair!  We all started at the same time and I was logging behind.  What the heck's going on?

1.  Energy - She's 5 and I'm 36.  Meaning, I'm old.  I don't have the energy of a 5-yr old.  I couldn't bring myself to just skate to the max like she does.

2.  Guts - Kids are fearless.  They don't think about the dangers that's why they have so much fun doing stuffs.  For them, everything is play.  Me, I've got a lot of hangups. I might stumble, I might fall, I might fall on my face, I might fall on my butt, I might lose control, I might knock my head over, blah, blah, blah.

3.  "Deadma" attitude - "Deadma" means no reaction.  It's a local term we use for "I don't care", "so what?", "Who cares?".  My daughter falls down a million times on her butt but she just keeps going like nothing happened.  She just simply doesn't care.  I think she even enjoys falling.  Maybe.  Another hangup for me is I care a lot -- on how I'd get hurt, on how I look on the ice, or how embarrassing it would be to fall (esp. when there are spectators who just come to entertain themselves watching new ice-skaters. lol) 

I knew I had to do something about it.  I couldn't just rely on my hubby to hold me each time I go skating, or  hold onto the rails for dear life (it gets crowded on the side as more new skaters join in on the adventure).  I needed to let go of my fears and worries.  And I needed to have a deadma attitude.  How else could I learn and enjoy, right?

So, I searched the mighty web for tips and video tutorials.  I tapped (EFT) away my worries and I talked to the ice like it was my best friend in the whole wide world.  (Hey, you're not the only one who thinks I might have gone crazy.  I think that myself, too.)  lol.

But it works, you know?

The other day, JM and I skated by ourselves and the whole time I was telling the ice "I love you" and "You and I are one" ... and I just let go. I was imagining the ice like clouds in the sky, soft as cotton candy, ready to fluff me when I fall.  I didn't care if I looked unsophisticated with my arms all over the place, looking like a running penguin.  I actually was making fun of myself telling people I was the student and JM was my teacher.  People loved seeing the 2 of us together ... with me shouting "JM, wait for Mommy!" most of the time.

I just let go.  And I never fell.  Not even once.  Yahoo!

So, I'm doing it again ... and again ... and again.  Thanks to my teacher, JM!  This is another check off my Bucket List.
signature

No comments: