I'm Outta Here!


(My letter to International Language School, Inc.)

To whom it may concern:

I have decided not to pursue my application with your institution.

First of all, the environment seemed as cold as ice. It gave such a heavy feeling the whole time I was there. Some of the teachers were not as welcoming and accommodating. There was a feeling of enmity and antipathy in the air. It would have mattered little to me. I was there to work and not to please them. Besides, I do not get intimidated as easily. As a Law graduate, I had proudly survived my share of barbs and scathing remarks from law school professors as well as from judges in civil courts when I did my practice. However, I do believe one can never be as effective in a workplace if she is not happy with the situation and the overall environment she is in. And I certainly believe that I would never be happy in your institution by the manner shown me during my initial training.

This resolve was even strengthened by the fact that one of your teachers extremely exaggerated the classroom incident where my opinion was solicited and I, in turn, asked if it was alright to give comment or even participate. Surely, it was ok to ask, right? Being new and not knowing all the protocols, I just wanted to be sure that what I was doing was admissible. I did not intend to be rude or arrogant. I was actually enjoying that particular class. I guess it had slipped my mind that I am now back in Philippines where most people are overly-sensitive and usually gives wrong meaning to some words or gestures.

And what's even worst was that the Headmaster sided with the teacher without getting the facts straight. Again, having a legal background, I am a strong upholder of justice. There are two sides to every story, and one should always be presumed innocent until proven guitly. But as was put quite bluntly, I seemed to have lost any chance of survival should I decide to go on because, and I quote: "we put values to our old teachers".

It's disappointing, but it leaves me no choice but to altogether 'stop fighting a losing battle', so to speak. I cannot be a part of something I do not believe in. Like I've mentioned during my interview with the Manager, I am very professional. I pursued my application knowing fully well that the job would not really meet my salary standards. I did not put great weight on its financial aspect. It was never about the money. Rather, it was more because I wanted to learn the ropes of, and see if I have a knack in, professional teaching, as well as to enrich myself with additional knowledge and skills so I can put the same to practical application. This aspiration is squashed by the fact that some people there needed a crash course on 'New Employee Welcome' or even on 'Smile is Free' program.

With all that being said, I do'nt harbour any remorse towards anybody. The whole experience actually made me realize how far more better I have become as a person.

So, I sincerely thank you for the opportunity. I also would like to acknowledge the teachers who have made the 'ordeal' bearable for me ... those who offered genuine smiles, help, encouragement and light conversations (you know who you are and God bless your kind hearts).

Baguio is a small place. There is a possibility that our paths will cross. Rest assured that I will sincerely offer a genuine smile (and might even extend my hand as a friendly gesture).

_______________
"Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that. But the great ones make you feel that you, too, can become GREAT!" - Mark Twain

No comments: